VP, Engineering - 100% Remote
RemoteUnited States, New York, New YorkEngineering
Greetings! We are hiring our 1st Orbit VP of Engineering. You'll serve as a member of our Executive team. As VP, Engineering you will support our engineering teams through our next stage of growth. You will enable our engineers to continue to evolve and help to build a world-class, multi-level distributed engineering organization. You will bring a passion for great engineering and understand how to elegantly balance speed, maintainability and scalability. You've cracked the code on identifying great engineering talent. You will report to and collaborate with Orbit's CTO, Josh Dzielak, to help define Orbit's technical roadmap, organizational structure, and engineering practices.
Orbit unlocks the power of communities through the Orbit Model, technology, and data. Our community experience platform helps companies identify, measure, and boost their community members’ engagement, all while focusing on creating value instead of merely capturing it. We are a remote-first, fully distributed company backed by the incredible investors at a16z, Coatue, and Heavybit. We are post-series A and have over 4,500 community teams using our platform.
- Learning Out Loud
What You'll Do
- Develop, build, and evolve Orbit's engineering structures and rituals to enable our engineering teams to continuously deliver the best solutions for our customers
- Advance Orbit's goals and presence with current and prospective customers, investors, and within the general software engineering ecosystem
- Drive the development of solutions that deliver on the company's security and privacy goals and support the team in achieving and maintaining best-in-class certification
- Drive deep and positive collaboration with Product, Design, Customer Success, Talent and GTM teams
- Hire and develop engineers to meet both the company goals; and each individual's career goal
- Drive the development of solutions that scale and stay vigilant in reducing technical debt
- Guide an engineering team of 30 towards a culture of innovation and customer love
- Drive excellence in performance and culture alignment
- Act as a role model for Orbit's culture and values
What You'll Need to Have
- For this role, we are focused on hiring within the US and preferably within the CST to EST timezones, but we remain open for the right person
- You will have grown into your role through individual contributor software engineering positions over your 10+ years in software engineering, including 2+ years experience managing managers of distributed teams
- You will have overseen multiple types of teams and engineers including front-end, back-end, automation, QA, systems, DevOps
- You have excellent communication skills, especially in writing
- B2B SaaS and DevRel / Community Development experience is a plus
Working at Orbit
Orbit is a remote-first, fully distributed company with employees in many countries. We do not offer visa sponsorship at this time. Because we have teammates around the world, benefits will vary based on where you live. We take the health and well-being of our teammates seriously. Just tell us what you need to be happy and successful, and we’ll try our best to accommodate. In general, we aim to offer our employees:
- Competitive compensation packages
- Flexible and family-friendly working arrangements
- Your dream hardware, software, and conferencing setup for your home office
- Opportunities for professional development, which might include books, courses, conferences, or community events
The Hiring Process
We are a young startup, frequently iterating on our interview processes. The specific steps you go through may vary, but for all candidates, we hold the following principles in mind:
We respect candidates’ time and energy.
We conduct conversational interviews as well as collaboration sessions, which are designed to help you get a sense of what it’s really like to work with our team.
We want everyone, candidates as well as interviewers, to come away feeling positive about the experience. Everyone should feel that they got something out of meeting and exploring the opportunity together, even if an offer isn’t extended or accepted.
And Most Importantly
Orbit does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity. In fact, we strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.